Friday, January 17, 2014

Changing face of Cherished Photography

Over the last couple of years I've changed my focus slowly from Weddings and Family portraits over to a more artsy and edgy style.  It took awhile for me to wholly embrace this switchover.  Goodness knows that Weddings and family type portraits are money makers.  But truth be told, I just wasn't enjoying it as much as I would like.

When I first started Cherished Photography I actually enjoyed taking photos of weddings.  The dresses, the flowers, the kids; everything was magical.  Over the course of 9 years doing it, everything started to look the same.  I decided to take a step back and reanalyze my feelings about doing those events.  Had I become jaded from too many brides and fluffy dresses?  Or was it stagnation, doing the same poses and set ups over and over again?  Probably a combination of them both.

I did notice that towards the end I was doing the same exact photos for every wedding.  That is not the type of photography I wanted to be doing.  I want to be doing fun things.  Pushing the envelope type things.  Things that I can't post on Facebook.  Things that get people talking.  I want to have FUN.

So, towards that end, the website came down.  I decided not to pursue weddings at all, anymore.  (Maybe someone can talk me into it, but it will be only for certain special people.)  I decided to go out and take photos that make me happy.  Hopefully other people will like them also.  If not, too bad, at least I like them!

Welcome to the new blog and enjoy the pictures.

I'm going to start by posting some of my favorites and then move on to more recent and new photos.  Maybe everyone will see how the style has changed.  Maybe everyone will see the improvements I've made in technique, the journey I've taken to find my new style.  Please feel free to comment, critique and otherwise be involved.  I'd love it if everyone left some sort of comment.


2 comments:

  1. I am more than happy to be a contributing model to your artsy endeavors. :) I have had so much fun experimenting with all sorts of shoots for almost two years. I even let you stick electrical tape on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I love shooting with you and experimenting on you ;) I can't wait til the electrical tape photos are posted. I'm so excited!

      Delete